Dr. Jwala Srikala Mulugu
Senior Consultant Radiologist,
KIMS Hospital & Lead Radiologist,
KIMS Ushalakshmi Centre for Breast Diseases
Director, KIMS-USHALAKSHMI Centre for Breast Diseases
KIMS Hospitals, Minister Road, Secunderabad – 500 003 India
Tel: +91-40-4488-5190, +91-4488-5191 (Land line), Email: email@example.com
- MBBS 1992-1998 ,Gandhi medical College,Hyderabad.
- DIPLOMA IN MEDICAL RADIODIAGNOSIS (DMRD) 1999-2001, Osmania medical college, Hyderabad.
- DIPLOMATE OF NATIONAL BOARD (DNB) Radiodiagnosis , 2002-2003 Osmania medical college, Hyderabad,
I am a qualified radiologist with 17yrs experience in multimodality imaging and interventions.
I am currently working at Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, a 1000 bedded tertiary level ,
Superspeciality hospital, in Hyderabad, Telangana. The Department of Radiology and Imaging at KIMS ,is one of the best equipped centres not only in the city of Hyderabad but also in the twin states of Telangana and Andhrapradesh .We perform about 600 diagnostic procedures everyday and we are a recognized center for DNB training in radiology and presently have 6 postgraduate students joining our institute annually.
I am a Senior Consultant radiologist working at KIMS ,Hyderabad for the past 15 yrs . I am also the lead breast radiologist at KIMS- USHALAKSHMI CENTRE FOR BREAST DISEASES, one of the very few stand- alone breast care centres in India.
My main job responsibilities as lead consultant breast radiologist include symptomatic as well as screening work, which encompasses breast cancer detection ,stereotactic biopsies,ultrasound guided core biopsies, clip placements and wire localisations. A GE Digital Mammography system with stereotactic biopsy system is available at our centre since 2007 , which was the first ever installation in South India and only the second in our country. I have reported more than 50,000 screening and diagnostic mammograms and performed more than 30,000 breast ultrasounds so far .My expertise is in breast interventions and I have performed more than 3000 image guided biopsies .
Apart from breast imaging, I also regularly contribute in reporting of Brain and body CT imaging on a 128 detector row Multislice CT scanner,, MR imaging of Brain and Spine, Body, Cardiac and Breast on a 3T MRI System. Apart from Breast MRI, Cardiac and Oncoimaging ,including PET-CT and Body MRI are my areas of special interest.
I perform routine ultrasound and Doppler studies of neck ,abdomen and pelvis for varied indications ,pregnancy scans and undertake several ultrasound and CT guided interventional procedures.
I was the Head of the Department of Radiology and Imaging at KIMS from 2014 to 2016.
I also run an outpatient clinic for patients referred to our centre for opinion on breast imaging studies and also for performing a wide variety of breast interventions .
Papers presented and Lectures given
- Given numerous lectures on a wide range of topics in Breast and Women’s imaging at the Regional , National and International conferences.
- Faculty at the recently concluded National conference of Society for Emergency Radiology and delivered a lecture on Ist trimester emergencies in November 2018
- Faculty at Breast Imaging CME in September 2018 at KOVAI Medical Centre at Coimbatore and delivered a lecture on Breast MRI in Breast cancer and conducted hands on Ultrasound – guided intervention workshop
- Faculty at the Breast CME conducted by Basavatarakam Indo-American cancer hospital ,Hyderabad in August 2018
- Faculty at the national conference of the Breast Imaging Society of India (BISI) in the years 2013,2014,2015 and 2016 and delivered lectures on various aspects of breast cancer imaging and conducted several hands-on workshops in breast interventions.
- Delivered didactic lectures and conducted the breast interventions workshop in the IRIA TN state chapter conference in NOVEMBER 2016 at SRMC ,Chennai
- Faculty at IRIA National Conference at Kochi in 2015 and Hyderabad in 2012
- Faculty at mid-term CME of BISI 2015, Conducted by Medanta Hospital ,Gurgaon.
- Faculty at National Conference of ISVIR ,2014 ,at Hyderabad
- Faculty at National Conference of Association of Surgeons of India,2014 (ASICON)
- Delivered several lectures on Physics and Interpretation of Mammography and BREAST MRI,in HYDERABAD ANNUAL PHYSICS COURSE( HARP) -2010 TO 2018
- Imaging and Interventions in early breast cancer lecture delivered at a CME at MNJ Institute of Oncology ,Hyderabad ,Jan 2009
Scientific Papers and Publications
- Multimodality imaging in pediatric chest disorders – IRIA ,AP statechapter CME at NIMS 2002
- CT staging and diagnosis of Bronchogenic carcinoma : Paper at the 54th IRIA National Conference at Hyderabad, Jan ‘04
- Digital mammography in Breast cancer screening –A single centre experience Paper presented at Oncoimaging- 2008 conference at Hyderabad
- Screen detected cancers- a Pictoral essay – a poster at Oncoimaging 2008 conference at Hyderabad
- NEUROSONOGRAPHY-Window to the neonatal BRAIN-Paper presented at Annual conference of Indian Association of Pediatricians, AP chapter -2011,Kakinada. MR imaging in congenital anomalies of brain–Paper presented at Annual conference of Indian Association of Pediatricians, AP chapter ,Kakinada
- Hepatic arterial variants- a retrospective analysis in 500 patients using CT angiography-e-Poster presentation at ILTS,Lisbon in July ,2018.
- Primary osteogenic sarcoma of breast, January 2015 DOI10.17727/JMSR.2015/3-007
- Hepatic MRI in evaluation of focal liver lesions using diffusion weighted imaging (DWI) – our initial experience September 2013 DOI 10.17727/JMSR.2013/1-022 Jwala Srikala,Sudheer pangewar.
- Breast Cancer Screening and Impalpable Breast Cancers -A single centre experience -March 2013 DOI 10.17727/JMSR.2013/1-00 Jwala srikala
- Recognised Post graduate Teacher and guide for DNB radiodiagnosis programme at Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences ,Hyderabad for the past 12 years
- Actively involved in the Training of 4 post graduate residents in radiodiagnosis every year for the past 12 years at Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences,Hyderabad.. Conduct case discussions,seminars and journal clubs for the residents as a part of their curriculum .
- Conducted several short term training and certification programmes at KIMS ,in breast imaging and interventions for several practicing radiologists across the country.
- Underwent training in MR Mammography and hands on workshop on MR Guided breast biopsies at FirstHill diagnostic centre ,SEATTLE WASHINGTON,USA, under the guidance of Dr Bruce Porter in March 2013.
- Attended the “”Multimodality approach in Detection of Early Breast Cancer”, a teaching course conducted by the world renowned breast radiologist,Dr Laszlo Tabar in Nov 2009 and 2010
- Underwent training in breast cancer screening and mammographic interpretation at St GEORGES HOSPITAL, LONDON IN 2007.Also took additional training at the SouthWest London Breast Cancer Screening Centre for interpretation of screening mammograms and stereotactic core biopsies and ultrasound guided core biopsies
- Neuro and body Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Training at Nizams Institute of Medical sciences,Hyderabad.-2003
- Given several lectures at various forums to spread breast cancer awareness among public.
- Was the chief breast radiologist for breast cancer screening in 500 rural women undertaken by the SWERC 2009
- Participated in the”pink ribbon initiative”, a free breast cancer screening programme in collaboration with Dr REDDY’S FOUNDATION , Hyderabad and THE ROKO CANCER FOUNDATION ,New Delhi in screening 2500 urban women in OCTOBER 2007.Was the lead radiologist for the screening programme and undertook film reading and interventions which were done free of cost for these women.
- Have been actively involved in spreading breast cancer awareness and the benefits of screening mammography in print and electronic media.
Scholastic achievements and awards
- Winner of a state-level Quiz conducted by the Indian Society of Vascular Radiology (ISVR)-AP chapter in September 2003.
- Winner of the Southern Zone Indian Association of Pediatrics (IAP) Quiz and finalist at the national level (1997).
- Achieved distinction in Microbiology during undergraduate training at Gandhi medical college,Hyderabad.
- Life member of Indian radiology and imaging association (IRIA)
- Member of Andhra Pradesh Neurosciences Society.(APNS)
- Member of Indian Medical Association.(IMA)
- Life member and Joint secretary of Breast Imaging Society Of India .(BISI)
- Member of Indian Association for Cardiac Imaging (IACI)
- Associate Member of Association of Breast Surgeons of India.(ABSI)
- Received special training in Breast imaging and interventions at the ST Georges hospital , LONDON and Southwest breast cancer centre ,LONDON.
- Special training in MR Mammography and interventions from FIRSTHILL DIAGNOSTIC CENTRE,SEATTLE , WASHINGTON,USA.
- Lead Breast radiologist at KIMS,and working on DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT with stereotactic core biopsy system.
- Head of the department ,Department of Radiology and Imaging at KIMS from 2014-2016
- Senior consultant radiologist at the department of radiology KIMS for the past 15 yrs.
- Handled the entire range of conventional radiography and procedures; USG , TVS,TRUS and Color Doppler.
- Handled reporting of Brain and Body CTs on 128 slice Multidectector CT including reporting of CT coronary angiograms.
- Worked extensively on 1.5 and 3T MRI for Body,Musculoskeletal ,Cardiac ,Prostate and Neuro imaging.
- Undertook several Ultrasound and CT guided procedures both for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes including Radiofrequency ablations for Bone and Liver tumors.
- Conducted the midterm CME of BISI in 2017 at KIMS which included didactic lectures and hands-on workshop on breast interventions.
- Conducted a one day teaching course on Head and Neck Imaging in October 2018 in association with RCR LONDON and IRIA ,Telangana chapter.
- Organising secretary of the “BISICON 2019” conference held at Hyderabad which was attended by more than 350 delegates from India and abroad .