Dr.P. Raghu Ram – First surgeon of Indian origin to be conferred Honorary Fellowship by The Association of Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (ASGBI).
Dr. P. Raghu Ram, a Padma Shri awardee, an OBE & the Founding Director, KIMS-USHALAKSHMI Centre for Breast Diseases has achieved the rare distinction of being conferred with Honorary Fellowship of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain& Ireland (ASGBI), an Organisation that represents the surgical fraternity in United Kingdom & Ireland.
Mr Neil Welch, President of ASGBI bestowed the honour upon Dr Raghu Ram during the 100thCentenary annual General Body Meeting of the Association, which was held virtually at 11 pm on 20 July 2021.
Addressing the annual GBM, Mr Neil Welch said, “Raghu Ram is the first surgeon of Indian origin to have this honour conferred on him in the 100 years history of ASGBI and we are delighted to welcome him as Honorary Fellow of ASGBI”.
Mr. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Hon’ble Vice President of India posted a couple of tweets appreciating Dr Raghu Ram and conveyed his best wishes in his future endeavors.
Honorary Fellowship is the highest honour & recognition, which is conferred by ASGBI to select few surgeons from world over who have made significant contributions to surgery & surgical care.
The award is prestigious &limited by statute & according to the ASGBI Constitution; the number of Honorary Fellows can never exceed sixty.
Responding to the honour bestowed upon him, Dr Raghu Ram addressing the ASGBI GBM said “This is a great honour to India and I dedicate this prestigious award to the Indian surgical fraternity world over for their outstanding contribution towards promoting the art & science of surgery, and equally, to my patients who have given me an opportunity to be involved in their care. Over the past 14 years, I have strived to replicate & exemplify the best of British practices and served as a “Living Bridge” between the UK and India in an earnest endeavor to improve the delivery of breast healthcare in my motherland. My profound gratitude to everyone who made this journey possible.”
Established 100 years ago in 1920, ASGBI is a world renowned Organisation that represents surgeons from all surgical specialties practicing in the UK & Ireland. This includes those practicing the art & science of Breast Surgery, Upper GI Surgery, Colorectal surgery, Laparoscopic surgery, Endocrine and Thyroid Surgery, Transplant Surgery &Vascular surgery. The Membership also includes surgeons in armed forces, Academic &Research surgery and surgical trainees in the UK& Ireland.The founding objective of ASGBI, which is celebrating its centenary year, is “the advancement of the science and art of surgery”.
- Honorary_Fellowship_ Certificate
- Paper clips: Honorary Fellowship, ASGBI
- The Hindu: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/another-distinction-for-ts-surgeon/article35426673.ece
- Medical Dialogues: https://medicaldialogues.in/news/health/doctors/dr-p-raghu-ram-conferred-with-honorary-fellowship-of-association-of-surgeons-of-great-britain-and-ireland-79993
- Siyasat: https://www.siasat.com/hyd-doctor-raghu-ram-is-first-indian-to-receive-asgbi-honour-2167648/
- WION: https://www.wionews.com/india-news/hyderabad-doctor-raghu-ram-is-first-indian-to-receive-asgbi-honour-399411
- Youtube: Director of KIMS-Ushalakshmi Centre, Dr. P Raghu Ram Gets Honorary Fellowship of ASGBI | Hyderabad